The TDRp Measures Library contains over 600 outcome, effectiveness, and efficiency measures for the six human capital processes. The list of measures and their type is available in pdf format by process. Center for Talent Reporting members may access the electronic measures library which also provides the definition, formula and reference for each measure as well as identical and similar measures. The electronic library is also easily searchable.
We would like to acknowledge and thank the contributors to the field of human capital measurement whose measures and definitions are included in the library and share the following sources:
- Jac Fitz-enz
- Jac is widely regarded as the father of human capital metrics for his pioneering work in the 1970s and 1980s to demonstrate that metrics can be applied to the human resource field. He founded the Saratoga Institute in 1977 which published the first comprehensive list of human capital metrics.
- Fitz-enz, Jac and Davison, Barbara. How to Measure Human Resources Management (Third Edition). New York: McGraw-Hill, 2002.
- Fitz-enz, Jac. The ROI of Human Capital: Measuring the Economic Value of Employee Performance (Second Edition). New York: Amacom, 2009.
- Jeff Higgins
- Jeff, CEO of the Human Capital Management Institute (HCMI), has built on Jac’s work culminating in the second edition of his handbook referenced below which includes detailed descriptions of over 600 measures. This serves as the foundation for the majority of measures in the library.
- Higgins, Jeff. Human Capital Metrics Handbook (Second Edition). Human Capital Management Institute (HCMI), 2012. (Available at http://www.hcminst.com/products-services/human-capital-metrics-handbook/)
- ATD (Association for Talent Development)
- ATD, formerly ASTD, has provided direction for the learning and development profession since its inception in 1944. With just a few exceptions (primarily with regard to costs), TDRp has adopted the ATD names and definitions for L&D measures. In addition to definitions used in the annual industry benchmarking survey, see
- Rivera, Ray. WLP Scorecard: Why Learning Matters. Alexandria, Virginia: ASTD Press,
- Wayne Cascio & John Boudreau
- Wayne and John are thought leaders in the field as well and their book referenced below is used at numerous universities. Wayne is Professor of Management at the University of Colorado at Denver, and John is Research Director at the Center for Effective Organizations and Professor of Management and Organization at USC.
- Cascio, Wayne and Boudreau, John. Investing in People: Financial Impact of Human Resource Initiatives. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: FT Press, 2008.
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- SHRM is actively engaged in standard setting for the HR industry through the work of various task forces. TDRp will adopt the final standards from each task force.
- SHRM: Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). Cost-Per-Hire: ANSI/SHRM Standard 06001.2012. Available electronically at SHRM.org/HRStandards/PublishedStandards/
(Clicking on any of the above will take you to the full excel library where you can use the tabs at the bottom to select the desired process.)